The Liberal Patriot Blog
 The Liberal Patriot Blog is dedicated to collecting and sharing information about National and State [New Hampshire] Political Action, News, and Events.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Party politics

After Saturday's mid-term state convention, I now understand why NH can't seem to elect more democrats. We are so unorganized, lazy, and unwilling to listen to other opinions. (I use the term "we" to refer to the general party dems.) We couldn't even pass a resolution from Concord's town chair Alex Lee that would recommend adding structure, organization, and strategy as part of the town chairs job. The party heads were too worried about finding people to do the job. Would they rather have someone who just sat around doing nothing and expected to elect democrats? Honestly, if we can't even pass a simple recommendation to build the party base, how do we expect to elect any candidate?

We continue to settle for the status-quo. As soon as people raise their voices and criticize the party for continuing to settle for "good enough", we get shut out, disrespected, and shoved to the nose-bleed section. I understand the political world is harsh. However, I did not expect to face such opposition from my own party, especially from the likes of Chairwoman Kathy Sullivan. In fact, I feel like the republicans are more apt to listen to my opinions and at least respect what I have to say. That's a sad statement, but unfortunately true. And if I were Ms. Sullivan, I wouldn't go around throwing my own party members, elected officials, and supporters to the curb. She lost any respect I ever had for her.

Democrats in NH must stop believing the myth of NH as a "blue" state. Until we have a majority in the state House, Senate, Executive Council, and elect Fed. Senators and Congress-people, I see no reason why we should believe that NH leans left. I heard it said numerous times on Saturday that NH is "blue" or "purple". We are as red as red can be. The only reason we elected a democratic gov. is due to the unethical activities of former Gov. Benson. Taking the "I'm too scared to properly fund state programs and rather have it fall on the backs of those who can least afford it" pledge helped as well. I'm sick and tired of the status-quo. I'm sick of party leadership that does more following than leading. I'm sick of being disrespected. If this party doesn't get its act together really soon, they will loose elected officials, possible candidates, and support.

I thank Willy Cowie and Jon Easton for continuing their hard work. They stood up for what they believed in and wouldn't take no for an answer. These are the kind of people I want working for a better party, a better county, and a better NH. On Saturday, these two demanded answers. They demanded the party be held accountable. It wasn't a surprise when the were kicked to the curb again. At least people know who we are. It's really unfortunate that we must waste our time trying to get democratic support, rather than going after the real problem: the republicans. However, I don't think we need a party to tell us what we stand for. Maybe it's time we took a second look at what the party hasn't done for us and think about other options. I know I'm sick of their crap.

Comments:
ONe of the things I have been saying and saying and saying and saying... and saying.. Is that THEY are saying "good enough" and we are saying no it isn't we need to do more...

Who is REALLY hurting the party here and who is REALLY helping
 
I saw a lot of things on Saturday. Most I expected, good and bad. One of the things that I will never forget is seeing a state representative treated as if he was a little disobedient kid who should be quiet while grownups talk. If anything we should be quiet when you have something to say.

I also noticed neither you nor Rep. McLeod was selected to be on the panel about Freshman Reps who have one in tough districts. You and Martha both won by wide majorities in republican districts but they instead choose several Reps. over you that won by a handful of votes on recounts.

The NHDP leadership totally disrespected you on Saturday, Scott. It was embarrassing to witness. Especially knowing how lucky we are to have you as a Rep. What is astounding to me is to know that the people by a large margin choose you as a Rep, but do not support the Democratic Party. Yet the Party thinks that it can, as you said, toss you to the curb.

They tell us again and again we should be fighting the real enemy, the republicans. But as I make a beeline for my enemies I continually find my party leadership blocking the path. Or worse I turn around to see if anyone has my back and I see the party lagging way behind. Standing in the distance advising others of my would be courageous democrats that the best way to win the race is to walk deliberately and stately with you head erect.

Can anyone say “losing strategy”?
 
Post a Comment

< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?